Mudhoney is one of those bands that helped shape my musical taste when I was young. I never really understood why the Seattle scene was called 'grunge' or why so many different bands were lumped together under that label, but nevermind. Nirvana, for example, had more of a soft spot for indie pop or the Pixies than for punk (I am not saying this as a bad thing, of course) and Soundgarden clearly drew inspiration from Black Sabbath. Mudhoney, on the other hand, were unmistakably a garage band. In sound, attitude and image. From the first chords you could hear the Stooges and the Sonics as the main influences and they never got any heavier than Motörhead or Blue Cheer - both of which are pure rock'n'roll bands anyway.
So, if any band deserves the grunge tag, it's Mudhoney (and Tad). To me, grunge was always about the sludge punk sound of superfuzz bigmuff pedals, not the whole cardigan and jeans and pretending I'm sad and lonely middle class trend/fashion thing. The story of Mundhoney is also partly the story of Sub Pop. Without them, none of what followed would have ever happened and yet they remained outsiders and never had a problem with it (Mark still works in the back room at Sub Pop, where he personally addresses all the packages sent out!). Mark Arm and Steve Turner first formed the legendary Green River with Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament (who would later go on to form Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam - I can't stand them really!). When former Melvins bassist Matt Lukin, who claims he was fired for "not having a pussy" and drummer Dan Peters joined, the group came to life and took its name from the 1965 Russ Meyer film. The rest is history.
Mudhoney is one of the greatest rock'n'roll bands of all time, and I don't take seriously any other opinion on the matter. Laid-back lads, cool and down-to-earth musicians, the kind I have always been fond of. For this WTS compilation, I paraphrased the Sub Pop one about them - because I can - and used the fonts from the Australian (Au Go Go) pressing of "Superfuzz Bigmuff". Naturally, I used the pedal as the sleeve's main character.
The Seattle quartet has never had to face the indignities of a reunion because it has never broken up. The only change to the group's line-up in its entire history was the departure of bassist Matt from the ranks in 2001 (and they were still friends!). When the band secured a major deal with Reprise in the '90s, they didn't spend their advance on luxurious recordings, they continued on a budget, kept the surplus and used it to make deposits on properties. And as I wrote already, the group never actually stopped being, despite a few occasions when they could have. In the early '90s, Turner returned to college and Peters joined Nirvana and Screaming Trees for a while. Even though they were not making records or touring, they continued to write songs, as well as starting equally amazing bands like The Monkeywrench. Perhaps the last truly independent American band.

320:https://mega.nz/file/vt40FLTY#9PWBiEkzfi1BseefGSp6h06J7-7ojsVAiFkydqhCBgs
ReplyDelete