Sunday, August 2, 2026

Jeff 'Monoman' Conolly (1956-2026)

Monoman was a genuine character. His deep knowledge of all things rock'n'roll, particularly the more obscure one was legendary. Dick Dickerson wrote about his somewhat difficult personality a few hours back on Facebook and it reminded me of Nick from The Nomads saying pretty much the same thing a few years ago. Even Tim Warren was diplomatic when I asked him about Jeff and Mike Mariconda added that Conolly always carried a glass of water full of vodka with him. I guess everything related to his complex identity is true. But he was also the rock'n'roll madman and nerd we all used to adore. I have written so many pieces about Lyres and DMZ that it would be redundant to repeat myself. This is just a farewell to ol' "Jeffrey's excitable personality that was mushroomed in the land of dirty water" as Miriam Linna once wrote. Safe travels motherfucker.


6 comments:

  1. Playing "Help You Ann" on constant repeat today and remembering seeing the Lyres in Boston back in the day . . . we're lucky to have had these primal musicians like Monoman, Dex Romweber (also RIP), and Curtiss A, to name a few. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels motherfucker indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a such a great singer !! Listen to the slow version of "She pays the rent", he's on the level of vocal geniuses like Wilson Pickett on this one ! One of my top 5 favorite bands ever, definitely. And his body of work is impressive, if sometimes erratic... I love this photo of him with sunglasses, and the first New Colony Six LP in hands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I've always thought the same thing about this version. It's so soulful!

      Delete
  4. I was a huge fan of the Lyres and was so excited to see them in Paris in the 80's at the Rex. They were dressed like Paul Revere & The Riders. They played 15 minutes and suddenly Jeff went mad and left the stage. The band followed him ... and never came back! I was so frustrated I wanted to cry. Anyway, I'll always love him. So long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you saw them. I never got the chance.

      Delete