Saturday, May 30, 2015

Mother's Children - "Dance To The Rock'n'Roll Band" (7" Pink marbled, Going Gaga Records/ Shang-A-Lang Records - 2009)

I never really liked bands like Jellyfish or Weezer or Teenage Fanclub... OK, I'm lying here a bit. Teenage Fanclub were great actually and Weezer had their good moments sometimes (Jellyfish are still shite though) but these bands are definitely not what I have in my mind as "powerpop". As far as I know, the term belongs to the great Greg Shaw and even though he liked stupid things like ABBA thankfully never released something like it... So things like the Romantics, The Rubinoos, The Shoes and The Nerves are what from day one I too tag as "powerpop" in my vocabulary. Pop bands with a well hidden (sometimes) smell of raw rock and roll!

Among the very best the last few years are Mother's Children from Ottawa Canada. In fact Canada rules the powerpop game nowadays and has quite many and quite excellent gangs around (The Mandates, Fashionism, First Base and Nervous Talk are the first my mind brings swiftly - try them, without question WTS approved outfits) but Mother's Children topped them all with their glamified powerpop n' roll! What really makes these guys special (except for their amazing hooks, harmonies and riffs) are the drumbeats. Seriously now, this guy here's the best thing I've heard behind the kickdrum since the early days of the Hellacopters (respect to Robban, Keith Moon's Swedish lovechild). 

That's their first and it's probably long ago out of print and I'm still not having it psychically. This rip belongs to the departed friend of mine Patrick, of the SOTD fame. Shit man, almost everyday I think of him and the legacy he left behind. There are bands recently discovered by me and it turns out that Pat had them way before me on his site... Anyway, these guys, Kurt Baker's projects, The Cry! and The Connection are combos Joey Ramone would be proud of, trust me! Support them fanatically. 

8 comments:

  1. Rip in WAV and HQ Scans by Midnight Rambler (R.I.P.)
    Uploaded by Mihaleez --> https://www.sendspace.com/file/5vz1qr

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one! I missed it when it first came out but with the help of SOTD & Ratboy69 I finally saw the light: this LP kicks ass, brothers & sisters. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited I thought it was the LP. Ok it's just the single... Anyway it's a good introduction to this band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about "Lemon", it was issued last year I guess... By the way a new Connection LP is on the way! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's still in print man, don't wanna fuck the band. Yeah I know about Connection, can't wait actually. You know, Andy Shernoff was behind the boards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get all their stuff cheap on bandcamp (except the new record, which is $1 a song). https://motherschildren.bandcamp.com/music

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right: The Lp is still available. Don't wane fuck the band either!

    ReplyDelete