Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Mono Men - "Don't Know Yet" - "Lie Detector/Jack The Ripper" (7", Lucky - 1992) & "Just A Girl" - "Over The Edge" (7", Lance Rock - 1992)

Hi there! Just came in from a few days off the modern civilization. No internet, no phone calls, lots of tasty meat and wine and a good cold as a bonus. Not much to say, actually who needs any introduction to the mighty Mono Men? High school buddies of the Fastbacks, adherent friends of the Nomads, label honchos of the Estrus empire and along with Mudhoney my fave bands during the 'grunge' days from the whole Seattle/Washington area. Not your average 'garage-revival' band for sure. Here in a couple (I suppose) out of print singles from 1992. Allegedly disbanded from 1999, with a few 're-union' shows thrown in 2006 and a good M.I.A. thing going on since... I know many 'garage-freaks' didn't like them, possibly due to the fact that never were part of the genre's fashion/trend but I don't give a shit about it. They were cool enough to shake my ass and hold my interest for years. Just for this alone they deserve every bit of my WTS respect! Like the back sleeve says:
 "There's more to the Mono Men than sluts, booze, and gravel-spittin' custom woodies!"
And as it usually happens on singles, all A-sides are Mono Men originals ("Don't Know Yet" & "Just A Girl")and all B's are inspired kick ass cover versions of tracks with origins on Link Wray ("Jack The Ripper"), Billy Childish ("Lie Detector") and the Wipers ("Over The Edge").
Laaaaaaaaaaateeeeer!

9 comments:

  1. http://www.sendspace.com/file/0li44d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and welcome back to the rat race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shit cover of Over the edge, its a bery unique song and sound. Very menacing guitar structure. And these fuck weasels ruin it. Do like the mono men. And i give them vredit for trying to do it. But they failed badley. Sorry friend sux...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Hey Nekro, I like their cover but I don’t disagree either with what you wrote. Indeed ‘Over the Edge’ is not an easy song for someone to pick upon even if its structure looks/sound like an easy job for someone to do. Actually all Wipers toons have that ‘menacing’ feeling… Whatta great fuckin’ band!!!

      Delete
  4. Yes bro, i fucking love the wipers and greg sage solo efforts. I feel the mono men, like the rawness to it. The intense feeling that its going to crush your skull. It was a descentrun through. It just lacks so much. Maybe if your not Mr Sage you shouldnt try and play it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the covers of Mono Men albums. FAP FAP FAP FAP...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. lie detector test

    ReplyDelete